Mounting ISO : "sorry, there was a problem mounting the file"

Hello,

when i try to mount a .iso a get the following eror on Server 2012 RTM:

What to do to fix this?

August 28th, 2012 9:12am

Problem can be solved by copy the .iso to a local disk instead of using it over UNC-path.

Is there fix available to mount .iso over UNC?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2012 9:40am

Hi,

I mounted an ISO file on one Windows Server 2012 computer through UNC path from another Windows Server 2012 computer(or even a Windows Server 2008 R2 computer) without any issue. By the way, I just double clicked the ISO file.

August 29th, 2012 2:07am

It is working well over UNC-path, but NOT over a network-drive (z:\test.iso)

Other people with same problem/error?

• Proposed as answer by icbra Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:00 PM
August 29th, 2012 7:00am

It is working well over UNC-path, but NOT over a network-drive (z:\test.iso)

Other people with same problem/error?

• Proposed as answer by icbra Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:00 PM
August 29th, 2012 7:00am

Hi,

Unfortunately, I cant reproduce the issue on a network-drive.

By the way, how did you share the ISO file? Whats the operating system on both the computers?

August 29th, 2012 7:23am

operating systems : server 2012 both.

Only working with unc-path and Not working with z:\windowsserver2012.iso. Then te error as above will appear.

August 30th, 2012 10:25am

Hello,

What to do to fix this?

I am running Enterprise and get the same error NOT RUNNING SERVER, and I did copy it to the local directory and still get the error.   

I do see that it does mount the ISO but not recognized from other apps.  Meaning I can use the EXPLORER to view the files but Rosetta Stone cannot see that it was mounted.   Its weird.  I get the error yet it Visually or partly mounts the drive.  . 

September 9th, 2012 2:35am

I'm getting the same problem.  It has NOTHING to do with remote/local/up your ass... It's a problem with this BULLSHIT that they're calling an OS these days...
  • Proposed as answer by mlawton18 Thursday, January 02, 2014 3:02 AM
October 16th, 2012 4:53am

I'm getting the same problem.  It has NOTHING to do with remote/local/up your ass... It's a problem with this BULLSHIT that they're calling an OS these days...
  • Proposed as answer by mlawton18 Thursday, January 02, 2014 3:02 AM
October 16th, 2012 4:53am

Don't get so excited. By Service Pack 3 - in 2019 - it will be fixed.   Powershell Nerds Rule!
"Perry Codes" wrote in message news:a177d13c-414b-4d3e-a895-16fb1cdb723c@communitybridge.codeplex.com... I'm getting the same problem.  It has NOTHING to do with remote/local/up your ass... It's a problem with this BULLSHIT that they're calling an OS these days...
October 19th, 2012 7:55am

this bug was fixed by windows update recently
November 15th, 2012 11:55am

No it wasn't. ISO's still won't mount.
December 19th, 2012 3:00am

I found a simple fix.  Right click on the image and choose open with "Choose default program.."  Then select "Windows Explorer".  

It appears that the default application associated with the image causes the mount option to fail.

Hope this help!

• Proposed as answer by Bryan Tye Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:31 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by Bryan Tye Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:45 PM
January 1st, 2013 8:31pm

I found a simple fix.  Right click on the image and choose open with "Choose default program.."  Then select "Windows Explorer".  

It appears that the default application associated with the image causes the mount option to fail.

Hope this help!

• Proposed as answer by Bryan Tye Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:31 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by Bryan Tye Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:45 PM
January 1st, 2013 8:31pm

Hello,

What to do to fix this?

Use freeware CD emulator like Daemon Tools. It does support virtually any file format and not only ISO and does not suffer from any issues like the one you have now.
January 2nd, 2013 1:54pm

Greetings,

try to copy the file and then mount the copy. We had the same Problem with an ISO file - the copy of it mounted without Problems.

It turned out that the original ISO file was marked as sparse. This flag gets removed when the file is copied.

You can check if this flag is set with the command  

fsutil sparse queryflag <PathToYourISO>

• Proposed as answer by radmantom Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:41 AM
February 28th, 2013 11:21am

Greetings,

try to copy the file and then mount the copy. We had the same Problem with an ISO file - the copy of it mounted without Problems.

It turned out that the original ISO file was marked as sparse. This flag gets removed when the file is copied.

• Proposed as answer by radmantom Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:41 AM
February 28th, 2013 11:21am

I don't know if this is a bug or it is by design. Let me know if my workaround works for you. Worked for me after running Windows Updates.

You won't be able to mount it if it is sitting on a network drive. i.e. T:\ISO\

You would have to use the UNC path \\serverna

March 18th, 2013 4:20pm

Greetings,

This seems to be correct, I just noticed it also, mounting an iso doesn't work if it is sparse.  Seems like a bug to me ... anyone know if Microsoft are aware / have any plans to fix?? 
March 25th, 2013 1:00pm

I do have exactly the same problem. When I try to mount an ISO image using the Windows' built-in mounting function, it works when the the ISO is located on a local drive, but NOT if it is on a network drive (linked to my NAS). The latter case yields an error saying that mounting failed without further explanation. (YES, the Iso file type is associated to Windows Explorer and YES, there is a spare drive letter after the local drive letters; actually my local drives are from B: (DVD) to D:, and the network drives are between F: and Z:, so that a mounted ISO receives a virtual drive at E: .)

It's hilarious that everybody uses NASs now that they have been pushed into the market over the last couple of years, but the most recent Windows version fails to implement a mounting feature that most other OSs have had a like time ago (like Mac OS) correctly.

It would be good if Microsoft could give a statement as to whether this will be addressed or what the causes are. Is there a way to escalate this issue to the Microsoft Windows development team, or to know if they are aware of it?

• Edited by Steve06 Monday, May 27, 2013 1:00 PM
May 27th, 2013 12:42pm

I do have exactly the same problem. When I try to mount an ISO image using the Windows' built-in mounting function, it works when the the ISO is located on a local drive, but NOT if it is on a network drive (linked to my NAS). The latter case yields an error saying that mounting failed without further explanation. (YES, the Iso file type is associated to Windows Explorer and YES, there is a spare drive letter after the local drive letters; actually my local drives are from B: (DVD) to D:, and the network drives are between F: and Z:, so that a mounted ISO receives a virtual drive at E: .)

It's hilarious that everybody uses NASs now that they have been pushed into the market over the last couple of years, but the most recent Windows version fails to implement a mounting feature that most other OSs have had a like time ago (like Mac OS) correctly.

It would be good if Microsoft could give a statement as to whether this will be addressed or what the causes are. Is there a way to escalate this issue to the Microsoft Windows development team, or to know if they are aware of it?

• Edited by Steve06 Monday, May 27, 2013 1:00 PM
May 27th, 2013 12:42pm

You should try changing the Virtual CD drive letter in Computer Management. Do you also have external drives or peripherals such as SD Cards inserted?
September 13th, 2013 7:28am

You should try changing the Virtual CD drive letter in Computer Management. Do you also have external drives or peripherals such as SD Cards inserted?
September 13th, 2013 7:28am

"hilarious"? I think I would have chosen the word "pathetic"
September 17th, 2013 8:26pm

Hi,

I wrote an article about this and how to solve it:

http://www.danielclasson.com/issue-with-mounting-new-iso-files-from-technet-in-windows-8-and-windows-8-1-preview/

September 20th, 2013 12:40pm

I downloaded the ISO to my D:\ drive.  When attempting to mount I received the same error.  Once moving the ISO to my C:\ drive, it mounted with no problems.
  • Proposed as answer by skumarr Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:58 AM
November 16th, 2013 6:15pm

I downloaded the ISO to my D:\ drive.  When attempting to mount I received the same error.  Once moving the ISO to my C:\ drive, it mounted with no problems.
  • Proposed as answer by skumarr Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:58 AM
November 16th, 2013 6:15pm

I tried all the above ways, but it got failed. Finally I have moved my file to C drive and it was working fine.

Thanks for this information..

• Proposed as answer by skumarr Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:00 AM
November 20th, 2013 2:00am

I tried all the above ways, but it got failed. Finally I have moved my file to C drive and it was working fine.

Thanks for this information..

• Proposed as answer by skumarr Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:00 AM
November 20th, 2013 2:00am

Don't use Daemon Tools, it's bloated with crap these days. They trick people into agreeing to install unwanted software. 
December 7th, 2013 12:29am

I agree with J.Zoidberg. Daemon Tools is not what it used to be and wouldn't recommend it especially on a server. I noticed today that sometimes I get this error when I have mounted too many ISOs. I guess you can mount multiple and you just have to eject. This may not always be the case. If anything I would recommend Virtual CloneDrive by SlySoft.

December 7th, 2013 1:22am

I found that even though I was receiving this error, the file was mounted correctly.

Using Surface Pro 2, Windows 8.1 Pro, up-to-date.  Just got it yesterday, so it's a relatively clean install. It's worth noting that the problem started happening after I received a dialog asking which application I wanted to associate with .iso files: Windows Explorer or Hex Edit Pro (an RT app). I selected Windows Explorer, and confirmed that it was the associated application. I also tried uninstalling Hex Edit Pro.  I'm having the problem with all ISOs from MSDN, which are in my local Downloads folder.

• Edited by Zenexer Sunday, December 08, 2013 5:14 PM
December 8th, 2013 5:07pm

I found that even though I was receiving this error, the file was mounted correctly.

Using Surface Pro 2, Windows 8.1 Pro, up-to-date.  Just got it yesterday, so it's a relatively clean install. It's worth noting that the problem started happening after I received a dialog asking which application I wanted to associate with .iso files: Windows Explorer or Hex Edit Pro (an RT app). I selected Windows Explorer, and confirmed that it was the associated application. I also tried uninstalling Hex Edit Pro.  I'm having the problem with all ISOs from MSDN, which are in my local Downloads folder.

• Edited by Zenexer Sunday, December 08, 2013 5:14 PM
December 8th, 2013 5:07pm

My ISO was already on the local disk and would not mount.  I copied the file to a different folder and the copy mounted fine.  Thanks Radmantom!
December 19th, 2013 7:58pm

Thanks for this.  Just spent an hour trying to figure out why Mount-DiskImage wasn't working against the Server 2012 R2 evaluation ISO, and why the copy of the file worked.

Would be helpful if they let us know the Windows Server 2012 R2 evaluation ISO is marked as sparse, considering it breaks most functionality built around ISOs.  I was getting quite frustrated until I came across this post!

February 23rd, 2014 11:09pm

Thanks for this.  Just spent an hour trying to figure out why Mount-DiskImage wasn't working against the Server 2012 R2 evaluation ISO, and why the copy of the file worked.

Would be helpful if they let us know the Windows Server 2012 R2 evaluation ISO is marked as sparse, considering it breaks most functionality built around ISOs.  I was getting quite frustrated until I came across this post!

February 23rd, 2014 11:09pm

Yes, this worked for me as well with my Project 2013 trial - thank you!
March 14th, 2014 5:19pm

I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 2, windows 8.1 and received the same error.

No matter what I tried based on suggestions here...fail.

Out of curiosity, I removed my microSD card I inserted a few days ago. Once this was removed, the ISO (SQL Server 2012 DEV edition) mounted just fine.

Unsure why, other than maybe the number of allocated Drive letters has a problem?

May 7th, 2014 3:11am

Thanks for the clue. . . When I removed the SDRAM from the laptop and right clicked to mount an ISO file, the error message did not pop up. Strange stuff, this Windows 8 debacle. . .
May 22nd, 2014 1:57am

For anyone still experiencing this issue - I hit this snag on 8.1 U1 and resolved it by removing the microSD card I have permanently inserted...
  • Proposed as answer by k1cotk Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:11 PM
May 22nd, 2014 7:31pm

For anyone still experiencing this issue - I hit this snag on 8.1 U1 and resolved it by removing the microSD card I have permanently inserted...
  • Proposed as answer by k1cotk Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:11 PM
May 22nd, 2014 7:31pm

Thank you, a simple copy worked fine. The ISO of SQL Server 2014 evaluation was indeed marked as sparse (on Win8).
May 27th, 2014 8:09pm

Is there a fix for this while _installing_ Server 2012 R2?

I ask because - it's complicated - I'm presenting my LSI drivers to the guest OS via ISO file.  Which is _supposed_ to offer it to the installer as USB device, and it even gets a drive letter I can browse to and the 'problem mounting the file' error.

Now, I could walk down there and put the files on USB flash drive, or a removable DVD but the servers are 40 miles away and I'd like to avoid the drive.

June 4th, 2014 10:33pm

thanks, it worked
June 16th, 2014 12:32pm

Just downloaded SQL 2014 and had the same issue. Copying the iso to another file solved the issue.

Thank you.

June 16th, 2014 6:02pm

Same here - just downloaded Hyper-V 2012 R2 and the ISO image is set to sparse:

C:\TEMP>fsutil sparse queryflag 9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623_X64FRE_SERVERHYPERCORE_EN-US-IRM_SHV_X64FRE_EN-US_DV5.ISO
This file is set as sparse

I was still able to burn the image to disc. Copying the file cleared the flag:

C:\TEMP>fsutil sparse queryflag "9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623_X64FRE_SERVERHYPERCORE_EN-US-IRM_SHV_X64FRE_EN-US_DV5 - Copy.ISO"
This file is NOT set as sparse

But I still couldn't mount the image:

I have already checked the various file associations (Explorer, Windows System Image Burner), so I don't know what's going on here. I was able to mount ISO images in the past.  This is on a fully-patched installation of Windows 8.1 Pro.  The C: volume is encrypted using BitLocker, but that shouldn't matter.  I'm logged in using an unprivileged user account, not an administrator.  It could be a permissions issue, but I'd expect a UAC consent dialog to pop up if it was.

Best wishes,
Matthew

June 20th, 2014 2:54pm

Same here - just downloaded Hyper-V 2012 R2 and the ISO image is set to sparse:

C:\TEMP>fsutil sparse queryflag 9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623_X64FRE_SERVERHYPERCORE_EN-US-IRM_SHV_X64FRE_EN-US_DV5.ISO
This file is set as sparse

I was still able to burn the image to disc. Copying the file cleared the flag:

C:\TEMP>fsutil sparse queryflag "9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623_X64FRE_SERVERHYPERCORE_EN-US-IRM_SHV_X64FRE_EN-US_DV5 - Copy.ISO"
This file is NOT set as sparse

But I still couldn't mount the image:

I have already checked the various file associations (Explorer, Windows System Image Burner), so I don't know what's going on here. I was able to mount ISO images in the past.  This is on a fully-patched installation of Windows 8.1 Pro.  The C: volume is encrypted using BitLocker, but that shouldn't matter.  I'm logged in using an unprivileged user account, not an administrator.  It could be a permissions issue, but I'd expect a UAC consent dialog to pop up if it was.

Best wishes,
Matthew

• Proposed as answer by Antwaan Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:34 PM
June 20th, 2014 2:54pm

Move this response to the top - 'Mark as Answer'.  :-)
July 11th, 2014 5:55pm

I'm on Windows 8.1 and having the same error. MagicDisc works on Windows 7 Pro no issues, but also fails on this OS.

SOLUTION:
VirtualCloneDrive 5.4.7.0

It's lightware and WORKS!!! I hope someone engineering this new OS studies this app. Making me miss my XP right now!

Thank you,

Kent C.

August 7th, 2014 11:19pm

In my case my CD/DVD drive was disabled and seeing that the virtual drive capability is linked to this, I un-installed my dvd drive, re-installed it and was able to mount the iso immediately.
  • Proposed as answer by KobusDT_RSA Friday, August 08, 2014 1:28 PM
August 8th, 2014 1:28pm

In my case my CD/DVD drive was disabled and seeing that the virtual drive capability is linked to this, I un-installed my dvd drive, re-installed it and was able to mount the iso immediately.
  • Proposed as answer by KobusDT_RSA Friday, August 08, 2014 1:28 PM
August 8th, 2014 1:28pm

Bingo!!! You are right, specially if you download the iso from the Microsoft Evaluation Center. The iso files comes set as sparse.

In the meantime if you don't a make a copy of the file (this process change the flag to NO set sparse) or change the flag using the command shown out below the issue will be present, no matter what you do.

fsutil sparse setflag <PathToYouISO> 0

After change the flag you can verify the file before mounting using the command:

fsutil sparse queryflag <PathToYouISO>

Result: This file is NOT set as sparse

Then you can mounting the ISO, not problem at all.

Unbelievable, Microsoft always with surprises.

• Proposed as answer by Antwaan 31 minutes ago
September 15th, 2014 4:48pm

Bingo!!! You are right, specially if you download the iso from the Microsoft Evaluation Center. The iso files comes set as sparse.

In the meantime if you don't a make a copy of the file (this process change the flag to NO set sparse) or change the flag using the command shown out below the issue will be present, no matter what you do.

After change the flag you can verify the file before mounting using the command:

• Proposed as answer by Antwaan Thursday, March 05, 2015 2:44 PM
September 15th, 2014 4:48pm

How is this still not patched?
September 21st, 2014 5:46am

it seems the ISO file you are using to mount directly downloaded to C:\ Root .. (OS drive), so there must be a permission glitch going on.. though the error message is not friendly.

A very simple and quick fix will be.. make a folder on C:\root .. for example : "Evaluation-ISO" then just copy your ISO file to that folder and then run from there...

September 22nd, 2014 10:19am

Copied the file and the copy mounted no problem. Thanks for the tip.

October 5th, 2014 9:01pm

This is the method that worked best for me. After I removed the microSD card I could mount the iso from my NAS and I didn't have to make a copy.
October 16th, 2014 7:29pm

This worked perfectly... Was trying to get prog to work from networked drive in Parallels, moved to C:Temp folder, double-clicked, installed and Viola! Thanks for the tip!
October 24th, 2014 2:19am

This worked for me.
March 5th, 2015 9:45am

Here is what worked for me:

1) Not using a mapped drive and just using the \\servername\[sharedrive] path to open the directory worked.   Right click the iso and the mount worked.

2) You can use the command line:

Open a powershell command -> Make sure you launch powershell RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

a. Run net use to see what network drives are available to your administrative powershell instance.

If you don't see your network drive mapped, map it:

net use [DriveLetter:] \\[SERVERNAME]\[ShareFolder]

(net use /d [DriveLetter:] to unmount a share drive.)

b. Mount-DiskImage -ImagePath [Full path to iso including drive letter]

(Useful tip, use the [TAB] key as your are typing the file path and the command line will finish typing the file path in for you based on the nearest match.)

Using the command line: Mount-DiskImage gives more specific error messages when it fails, which can help you troubleshoot a little better.

NOTE: I did verify that the sparse flag was not checked, but that didn't work in itself.

fsutil sparse queryflag <pathtoiso>

fsutil sparse setflag <pathtoiso> 0

fstutil sparse queryflag <pathtoiso>

Also,  I right clicked on the file and in the general tab, it said that the file came from another computer and may be blocked.  I clicked Unblock.

That didn't work in itself, either.

c.  After mounting the image with mount-diskimage and then dismounting it with dismount-diskimage, I tried using windows explorer to mount the disk, and it worked.

d.  This indicates that the issue could have been caused by several different issues that were cleared by doing the steps listed above. 

e. One of the key steps is to ensure you are running as administrator.  With the UAC, even if you are logged in as administrator, you won't run your applications under the context of an administrator unless you specifically request to launch the application as administrator.  Often times you will be prompted whether you want to run as an administrator, but some applications will launch in the context of a limited user and you may find that some functionality will not work under the limited user context.

March 16th, 2015 2:53am

The problem for me appears to be a security context issue.  

1) Not using a mapped drive and just using the \\servername\[sharedrive] path to open the directory worked.   Right click the iso and the mount worked.

I imagine copying the iso image to the local drive would work, too.  But I prefer to just keep one copy of the iso on a share drive to preserve hd space on my server.

2) Mapping a drive letter to the network share via file explorer and then right clicking the ISO and clicking Mount failed.

3) Interestingly, when you open a command prompt as administrator and run:

NET USE

The mapped drive that you mapped via file explorer does not show.  This indicates to me that the mapped drive may have been mapped in the context of a regular user that does not have permissions to the mount the iso.

I dismounted the share drive that wasn't showing up just in case:

net use /d [DriveLetter:]

Then, add the share drive via the command line that was running as administrator:

net use [DriveLetter:] \\[SERVERNAME]\[ShareFolder] /PERSISTENT:YES

The new share drive will show up in file explorer.  I then tried mounting the drive via GUI and it worked.

Note also that you can use:

Mount-DiskImage -ImagePath [Full path to iso including drive letter]

(Useful tip, use the [TAB] key as your are typing the file path and the command line will finish typing the file path in for you based on the nearest match.)

Using the command line: Mount-DiskImage gives more specific error messages when it fails, which can help you troubleshoot a little better.

NOTE: Earlier, based off the other replies, I did verify that the sparse flag was not checked, but that didn't work in itself.

fsutil sparse queryflag <pathtoiso>

fsutil sparse setflag <pathtoiso> 0

fstutil sparse queryflag <pathtoiso>

Also,  I right clicked on the file and in the general tab, it said that the file came from another computer and may be blocked.  I clicked Unblock.

That didn't work in itself, either.

I believe the key for me was to ensure the context of the share drive was running as administrator.  With the UAC, even if you are logged in as administrator, you won't run your applications under the context of an administrator unless you specifically request to launch the application as administrator.  Often times you will be prompted whether you want to run as an administrator, but some applications will launch in the context of a limited user and you may find that some functionality will not work under the limited user context.

March 16th, 2015 6:50am

This worked for me too.. great.. thanks a lot..
March 23rd, 2015 10:13am

Hi all;

After looking at this thread all the way to the bottom, and realizing that people still having the same issue, since it also replays in 2012 R2 and not just 2012. the best work around instead of copying locally and everything else... to make your lives easy, simply create a shortcut and enter the UNC path within the shortcut destination. place the shortcut wherever is convenient for you.

once the shortcut is created (of course you need to have permissions to the share) double-clicking on the iso will now work.

Ps I tried the fsutil sparse - and my iso was not sparse.

O and if you are trying to do this via GPO, you can create the shortcut via the GPO, and push it and place it anywhere you want example Explorer_Favorites (save a letter maybe for something else?)

Hope this helped you out :) and if it did please don't hesitate to mark this as answered :) thank you

keep on keepin on :)))

Cheers!

June 26th, 2015 1:27am

First, you gotta go into Property and change for Windows Explorer. If it still doesn't work, copy and paste the file in the same folder. Try to mount the Copy file. It worked perfectly for me.

Stupid Windows.

July 6th, 2015 8:23pm

Dude;

you don't need to copy anything... just create a share, and a shortcut pointing to the share instead of using a map drive. you can deploy via GPO, if you are installing multiple machines... or push that GPO to your admin profile if you want the shortcut to follow you everywhere... its the most effective workaround...

You don't want to be copying 2GB here and 4GB there.... just a shortcut to your directory containing the installation ISOs.

Cheers

G-EDGE 

July 8th, 2015 1:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics